Best Golf Balls
Best Overall Golf Balls
Best for Mid-Handicap
Best for High-handicap
Best for Practice
Best for Distance
What are golf balls made up of?
Golf balls are composed of three key elements; dimples, core, and finally the cover
- Dimples – Dimples help the golf ball fly. These small indentations on the outer layer of the ball create a thin layer of air that clings to the surface. This thin layer of air increases lift of the ball and reduces aerodynamic drag. There are a variety of shapes, sizes and patterns of dimples. This variety equates to differences in distance, stability and spin rate. If the golf ball were completely smooth (without dimples) it would travel roughly half of the distance that a traditional golf ball travels.
- Core – The core of the golf ball is located at the center and drives compression or overall density. Professional golfers choose higher compression balls due to their faster swing speeds. If you were to watch a golf ball in slow motion, you would see that upon impact, golf balls briefly transform shape. This transformation is due to the energy transfer, which the core is an integral part of. If your swing speed is lower or if you are a less experienced golfer, you may want to choose a lower compression golf ball. Lower compression golf balls will help you gain distance with a less powerful swing because they maximize the spring-like effect created through impact.
- Cover – There are two main types of golf ball covers: urethane and Surlyn ®. Surlyn ® is an ionomer resin developed by DuPont™. This product has been used to cover golf balls since the mid-1960s. These covers are the most durable on the market and create the lower spin which we discussed earlier in this article. Urethane covers are normally found on higher-end balls, chosen by more skilled players. Urethane offers a softer feel and greater control.
What are the different types of golf balls?
- One Piece – One Piece golf balls are great for beginners. You will notice that the dimples are molded directly into the Surlyn exterior.
- Two Piece – Most commonly seen golf ball that is used by most golfers are two-piece balls. In two-piece balls, the rubber interior is enclosed with a second piece that is usually made from plastic.
- Three Piece – Three-piece golf balls have a solid rubber core, which is covered with soft plastic. A layer of liquid rubber is in between the core and the cover of the three-piece golf ball.
- Four Piece – Four-piece golf balls feature the first three layers of rubber and then a urethane coating over those three layers. This type of ball has a very soft feel.
- Five Piece – Five-Piece golf balls were first introduced to the market by TaylorMade. They feature multiple layers of rubber inside the balls for a super high launch, and again the whole ball is covered in urethane for a softer feel.
Soft vs. Hard golf balls
The main factor to consider when it comes to buying golf balls is what those in the industry call ‘squidge’. Although it may not sound like a very technical term, it simply means the difference between soft and hard golf balls. The differences are referred to as high spin (hard) or low spin (soft).
Soft Golf Balls
A softer golf ball is more malleable to your golf club. These balls can easily absorb any slight errors that you may make with your stroke, and offers greater accuracy. The downside of choosing a soft golf ball is that they offer less in the way of power, so they won’t help during your drive swings.
Hard Golf Balls
Choosing a harder golf ball means that your golf ball will offer the best resilience to the impact of your club. This means that all of the power will be retained and create longer drives on the green. While a hard golf ball will offer you more in the way of power, it is also more sensitive to any errors you may make.
Best Overall Golf Balls
If you are looking to choose a golf ball that checks many boxes and is the best overall, look no further than the TaylorMade Distance Plus Golf Balls. This unit includes 12 golf balls and currently retails for $11.97 for the white variety or $12.49 for the yellow variety on amazon.com. You are sure to love these golf balls since they boast a 4.7 star rating across 10,000+ reviews.
TaylorMade is known for being an innovator since the beginning of mainstream golf play. Beginning their legacy in 1979, TaylorMade has established themselves in the marketplace as a brand that redefines what it means to break through previously held performance thresholds. They are the industry leaders in product innovation and are committed to exploring new frontiers, pushing the limits of product innovation, and constantly pursuing the next best thing in golf.
Reviewers have touted these golf balls as “consistent, firm, and always there when needed.” They feature a 342 aerodynamic dimple pattern and a low-drag design that is optimized for speed. A great balance of price and performance, they could be some of the best golf balls on the market for under $30. Try them for yourself with free 2-day shipping for Amazon prime customers.
Best for Mid-Handicap
Do your handicap fall in the midrange when you play? If so, choose the Titleist Tour Soft Golf Balls next time you play golf. Currently retailing for $34.49 for 12 golf balls on amazon.com, you are sure to love them as they boast a 4.8-star rating across 1,200+ reviews.
These golf balls are the new Titleist Tour Soft, reformulated with the largest core Titleist has ever produced. These innovations help deliver a longer distance on the golfer’s strokes and creates a more responsive feel. The compression of these two-piece golf balls is estimated at around 65 – 70.
Utilizing an ionomer cover means that the outside is thinner grafted and generates more green-side spin. The dimple design on these balls is a spherically-tiled 342 cub-octahedron design that provides a more penetrative ball flight. If you need longer distances on your drives and short game control as well, these balls will be perfect for your needs.
Don’t miss the brand new side stamp design, which provides easy alignment without having to mark a line on the ball. This was inspired by the most popular alignment aid design available on My Titelist.
Best for High-handicap
If you have a high handicap, you should look into optimizing your golfing equipment in order to reduce it as your skill increases. For the perfect golf balls for a player with a high handicap, look no further than the Callaway Golf Supersoft Golf Balls. These golf balls currently come in a variety of colors including matte red (pictured), matte green, matte orange, white, pink and yellow. Each of the different color ways retails for a different amount on Amazon.com, but they stay within a $23 – $39 range for 12 golf balls, making them a great value.
You are sure to love these golf balls, especially since they boast a 4.8 star rating across 16,000+ reviews. The Callaway Supersoft helps golfers achieve their best round yet, as it is a long, straight distance ball that is incredibly soft. The ultra low compression of these balls promotes not only a fast ball speed but also increased accuracy.
High handicappers should look to decrease the drag with their golf ball choice. The Callway Supersoft uses low drag HEX aerodynamic technology that is optimized to reduce drag and enhance golf ball lift so that your balls carry longer and farther than ever before.
Finally, the Callaway Supersoft features a softer trigonometry cover formulation that boasts a low compression and helps to enhance feel and increase green-side control. For super low spin and low drag, this golf ball is sure to come in handy.
Best for Practice
Are you a beginner golfer? Are you looking for a cheap set of balls for the driving range, putt putt golf course, or just everyday practice? Whatever your unique circumstances, the Callaway HX Soft-Flight Practice Golf Balls are sure to meet all of your practice needs. A 9-pack of balls is around $8 – $11, while an 18-pack is $16 – $19 on amazon.com.
Fellow golfers have loved using these balls for practice, as evidenced by the 4.5 star rating across 1,700+ reviews. One reviewer even touted these golf balls as “Best foam balls on Amazon”, a pretty high accolade. But just what makes the Callaway HX Soft-Flight Practice balls so special?
These golf balls are durable and although made of foam, their soft-flight technology simulates actual ball flight. They are even safe enough to be used indoors! The patented HEX-pattern dimples, found on all Callaway golf balls, reduce drag and increase lift.
As an added bonus, golfers will receive a complimentary mesh carry bag with their purchase, allowing for easy storage and enhanced portability. Choose the high-visibility hue that is right for you; from lime and orange to pink and even multicolor. The Callaway HX Soft-Flight balls are sure to help your practice sessions run smoothly.
Best for Distance
Looking to increase the distance on your drives and long putts? Look no further than the Wilson Profile Distance Golf Ball. These golf balls currently retail on Amazon for $26.10 and are available for free 2-day shipping for Prime customers. At that price, you receive 36 high-quality 2 piece golf balls that are ready for your next golf game.
The high-energy core of the Wilson golf ball enables a long-distance flight, perfect for someone looking to improve their drive distance. These golf balls feature a low compression technology which gives them a soft feel. Also enjoy tour accuracy, with a specially designed inn cover that creates less ball spin and, again, maximizes distance.
You can be confident when you purchase this set of golf balls from Wilson, as they have been designing, manufacturing and distributing premium and recreational golf equipment worldwide for over 100 years. Since 1914, their golf club, the Wilson Staff iron, has won over 62 major championships. It goes without saying that the innovators at Wilson know what they are doing when it comes to golfing equipment, so you can rest easy knowing that your golf balls will follow suit.